Sunday 23 October 2011

Sleep Training: One Tired Parent's Diary - Part Two

Well it seems our endeavour to teach E how to self-settle during the night has ended before it really began...

I'm not sure if it was my initial resistance (covered by cocky confidence), levels of anxiety or desire to sleep and 'deal with it later' that overcame me, but I woke up today vowing to find another solution. Anything must be better than hearing my darling boy cry. In short, I gave up.


In hindsight, I know where I went wrong (i.e. feeding him on auto-pilot and assuming he'd sleep through on a full belly...WRONG!) and I know I only have myself to kick up the bum, but there's a small part of my mind that keeps saying, 'He'll learn one day and you don't have to go through this anymore.'

The books I'm reading provide case studies similar to our situation. Each resolution seems simple enough to implement that I tell myself what we're experiencing is very normal and easily rectified. I CAN do this. That's usually the second half of my brain that convinces me we can teach E how to sleep...especially in the light of day with a cup of coffee in my hand, 'It can't be that hard Sian, I just need to be calm, confident and consistent.' Ha! That feels as ridiculous as saying Tom Cruise is sane.

So I've gone back to basics. I'm going to read Save our Sleep again to try to find where I'm going wrong. Perhaps I need to be more stringent in my day time routines, perhaps I need to introduce the dream feed again? Whatever the answer is, I'm on a one-woman hunt to track it down, tie it up by the neck and hold on to it for dear life...my dear, sleep deprived, blood-shot ridden, moody, grumpy, frustrated, caffeine dependant life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...